Monday, December 7, 2009

RIP Sonny



Our beloved and dear old cat, Sonny, passed away, peacefully, last night. Despite being an indoor cat, he was a fierce hunter. He developed a keen hunting instinct in his last year of life, often waking me in the middle of the night with his deep, guttural, hunting meows and I'd find him with his recent catch of "snakes" (in the domestic form of pencils and elastics). Some nights, he would catch up to 5 pencils...(don't ask me where he would get them...did he stand on his hind legs and snatch them off the desks with his paws?). He would leave them at the foot of the bed for us :)
He once got outside at our old apartment and when I found him, not 3 minutes later, he already had a bird in his mouth!
He also had an insatiable hunger for corn bread. If you left corn bread out anywhere in the kitchen, you'd wake up to a kitchen floor full of crumbs! I remember once we had a mexican-themed party and a friend made a casserole dish of spicy jalapeno corn bread which Sonny ransacked in the wee hours of the night. I cannot even describe the mess we woke up to. Plus, he must have eaten a TON of it and was really quite spicy...!
He spent his last night sleeping and purring on Orange's bed so he was happy right up until his last day.
He was a quiet and lion-like cat with an old soul (even when he was young) and he will be greatly missed.
RIP Sonny.

2 comments:

Amy C. said...

I'm going to try to feed my cat cornbread in Sonny's honor.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about this! It's never easy loosing a pet, but at least he went peacefully.